How Does the Process Work?
- Person completes the application and submits it with the required documents.
- The application is evaluated using the income, asset and insurance information provided by the applicant.
- If applicant is eligible for health insurance, you will need to pursue these options before submitting this application.
- If the person is eligible for the HealthyCare Card, they will be mailed a plastic card to present when they need care at WellSpan Health, UMPC Pinnacle Memorial, or UMPC Pinnacle Hanover Hospital.
- If a person doesn’t have a family doctor, please contact WellSpan HealthSource referral line at 1-800-840-5905 to find out which practices are open to new patients.
- Every year or six months a person must re-apply for the HealthyCare Card. The expiration date is on the card.
Does HealthyCare Card Cost Anything?
- There is no fee to belong to the Healthy Community Network at this time.
- The discount on care will depend on the doctor and the person’s financial status.
- Members will receive discounts from the doctors participating within the Healthy Community Network. Doctors outside of Healthy Community Network may or may not discount care. Patients are encouraged to talk with their doctors about fees they may be charged.
- Family First Health uses a different method of discounting services. Please contact them directly for information at 845-8617.
Why do we require copies of household bills?
We require Medicare eligible applicants to complete this section of the application and send copies of one month of utility bills, statement for mortgage or a rent receipt is needed. Review of household bills will help us to guide the applicant to other possible assistance.
What is proof of income?
All income types must be submitted by applicant and his or her household members.
Examples of Proof of Income:
- Pay stubs - most recent, if paid weekly -4 consecutive pay stubs or 3 consecutive pay stubs if paid monthly or bi-weekly.
- Federal 1040 Tax Return – most recent year.
- Current Statement from Medicare/SSI.
- Letter from Employer.
- Self-employed must submit a 1040 & Schedule 1and Schedules C and E.
Examples of Non-Wage Income:
- Social Security Statements
- Disability Income
- Unemployment Income
- Workman's Compensation Income
- Investment Income (including Rental Property)
- Child Support/Alimony
- Public Assistance (Cash or Food Stamps)
- If separated – must have spouse’s income or documentation of separation
What other documents are required?
- Provide a copy of Photo ID for each person applying
- Copy of all health insurance cards
- Bank statements for all accounts held and all the pages of each statement for the last 3 months
- For self-employed: copies of 6 months of all household & business accounts (include all pages)
- Copies of your household expenses (rent/mortgage, ultity bills, etc) if you are Medicare Eligible
How do I know if I would qualify for HealthyCare Card Program?
Eligibility is based on the financial assistance policies of each of the local health systems. We follow Federal Income guidelines.
Questions regarding whether you qualify, call 717-812-2990 or 800-429-2430.
What Else Does the HealthyCare Card Program Provide?
- Access to doctor visits, emergency visits, labs, x-rays and other testing.
- Access to specialty services through York Hospital Specialty Clinic and other community providers.
- Medications will be discounted for members who do not have prescription insurance through WellSpan Pharmacy and Hanover Apothecary.
What other opportunities to find affordable insurance are there?
Does the HealthyCare Card include dental & vision coverage?
At this time, we do not offer assistance for eye exams or glasses. If you are experiencing a medical eye problem, contact your family doctor.
Family First Health Dental Center has a reduced fee schedule for uninsured population. Two locations to call – in York 845-8617, in Hanover 717-632-9052 to find out more information.
Hoodner Dental Center and George Bentzel Dental Center (at York Hospital) have a reduced fee schedule for HealthyCare Card members. Please call for details, the Hoodner Dental Center at 717-812-7860 or the George Bentzel Dental Center at 717-851-2655.